Speak now or later?

27 Aug

A few people have commented that they would wait to tell my workplace about the adoption so I thought I would post a little more on what my big dilemma is.

What if on the off-off-off chance, we are picked immediately and it is an emergency placement (meaning the birth mother has already given birth and you have to be there in 24 hours to pick the baby up).  I know this is a crazy scenario but it’s not impossible.  I know some one who was listed for about three weeks and was chosen by someone who had already given birth.  They sped down to the state where she lived to pick up her baby.  Unfortunately, that birth mother chose to parent so their adoption was disrupted but if the birth mother hadn’t changed her mind, she would have become a mom a month after her home study was completed.  At least this way I can say it will be about three months to do our home study (and by the way I need time off for the home study classes) and then after that the wait is 9 months on average but it could be anywhere from a day to years.

On the other hand, I’ve been at my job for two months.  I haven’t proven myself yet.  I don’t want to freak them out by telling them this because it kind of like is a pregnancy announcement.  I know they will be very understanding. My boss is awesome  and the CEO told us that he considers us like family at our last meeting.  They are great.  But I’m the newest member of the family. It seems a little early to rock the boat.
Advertisements

3 Responses to “Speak now or later?”

  1. Ms. Fit September 2, 2012 at 6:35 am #

    Thanks for visiting our blog! And congratulations on moving ahead with your adoption! I struggled with this question as well. What I ended up doing was waiting until our home study was approved and we were officially waiting. Once we got to that stage, I shared the news at work, letting them know how unpredictable the wait can be. This allowed me to put a continuity plan in place. We ended up getting the call the day after our daughter was born and had one day to plan our trip. I was really glad my colleagues already knew what to expect. I look forward to following your journey and wish you all the best!

  2. Ms. Fit September 2, 2012 at 7:11 am #

    Thanks for visiting my blog! I struggled with the same question. We ended up keeping things quiet until we were officially approved and ready to start showing our profile. At that point, we went public at work. I was able to let people know how unpredictable the wait can be, how there may be very little lead time, and I was able to create a continuity plan with that in mind. When we got the call, we had one day to get ready to travel, and everyone at work had been well prepared. Every situation is different, but that worked out really well for us. Best wishes to you, and I look forward to following your journey!

  3. Feit Can Write September 5, 2012 at 12:24 am #

    I’d let your employer know sooner rather than later – especially if this is a job/company you hope to be with for a while.

    Aside from the potential of being matched shortly after going active (we got a call about our daughter on the second day), you will probably need some sort of documentation from your employer (letter stating your position, salary, job stability, etc) during the homestudy.

    Might as well give them the heads-up now instead of waiting unitl you need that letter.

What do you think?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: